Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Shredded BBQ Chicken (or Salsa)

One of the hardest things about eating gluten free is that there aren't really any quick easy meals anymore. You are pretty much stuck fixing full on meals from scratch. This is both good & bad though because it can often save you money (even with gluten free specific foods costing more) & it's healthier for you.

Since I found Udi's White Sandwich bread I have had a lot of sandwiches. They are quick & easy but after a while you do tend to get tired of the same thing. So here's a nice easy alternative.

Get out your Slow Cooker.
Take out a few frozen chicken breasts (I went with 3 because they were pretty large)
Throw those chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
Pour in a container of your favorite Gluten Free BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays) trying to cover your chicken as much as possible.
Put the Slow Cooker on low & leave it cooking for a few hours.

I poured in a whole container of Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar BBQ sauce.

After about 3 hours I checked on the chicken & this is what it looked like & oh the wonderful smell in the house.

After about 6-7 hours cooking on low the chicken should be super tender to where it just breaks apart real easily when you twist your fork in it. Once it's breaking apart real easily get two forks & start shredding the chicken up. Once it's all shredded real good stir it up mixing the bbq sauce up real good in the chicken.  Then you can put the slow cooker on warm until you're ready to serve or turn it off, let the chicken cool down some & then put the chicken in a container in the fridge to serve later.


You have several options to serve the chicken with. You can cook some rice & serve it over rice or you can make it into sandwiches. If you make extra rice & store it in the fridge then you can alternate between the two choices over the next week or so.

Here's a quick photo of my husband's BBQ sandwich. He decided to put his on some left over hamburger buns (not gluten free).


You can do basically the same thing to make a Salsa Chicken. Just swap out the BBQ sauce for some Gluten Free Salsa (La Victoria is a good choice). Then your serving options are over rice again or cook up some corn tortillas & have tacos or tostadas, even nachos work. We've done both BBQ Chicken & Salsa Chicken several times. 

3-4 good sized chicken breasts feed our family for about a week & a half rotating between the shredded chicken & a few other meals.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious Emily, I think I will make that tomorrow with my pressure cooker and serve it over rice like you did. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it. We didn't make rice this most recent time, just made sandwiches with it. I finished off the last of it last night. The next two nights we're actually cooking. Tonight is chicken pad thai & tomorrow should be bbq chicken on the grill with risotto.

      It's been a while since I had much mexican food (and I am a mexican food junky) so I think between this weekend & next Tuesday I might be doing the salsa version of this if my husband doesn't object too much hehe.

      Delete