Friday, February 3, 2012

Life is Chaos, You Can't Plan For Chaos (But You Can Try)

Life is chaos, you can't plan for chaos. I know this but I still try to have a plan. I didn't use to have to have a plan. I could afford to be spontaneous & it was great being that way.

Once I had Keegan though it just didn't work for me anymore. I needed a generalized plan for every day.

Anyone with kids knows exactly what I'm talking about. When you have a kid you have to give yourself extra time to get ready to go anywhere. Depending how old the child is, if you're breastfeeding etc all that affects the timing.

Keegan never nursed but I was determined that he was getting breastmilk so I pumped. I had to factor in at least 30min (I'm a super producer so it would take around 30min to be dry) just to pump. Then if I was going to be out for more than 2hrs I had to pack up the pump to go with me.

Then there's the general time to get yourself ready, get the kid ready, get the bottle(s) ready, double check diaper bag & get out the door. All hopefully before the kid has a meltdown & wants to eat again.

See why for me, I can't function without a plan. It was just starting to get into more spontaneous category & now I have a baby & am breastfeeding again. So it's back to making sure I pump before I leave the house. Thankfully since I am not working I don't have to worry about having such a large freezer stash of milk so I've cut back my supply enough AND Piglet actually nurses, so I don't have to take my pump all the time if I don't want to.

It's sad but sometimes I actually kind of spazz out when I can't get hubby to commit to something for a plan. Or when the plan changes & suddenly we are going out. I think I get so upset when the plan goes from staying in, to going out simply because getting ready to go out takes so much time. I'm generally not even a big hair & makeup kind of girl. Generally it's just shower, comb & blow dry my hair, brush my teeth, throw on clothes & go.

My husband usually gets mad at me while I'm spazzing & says "You can't always plan for everything! I don't know why you bother trying to make a plan! Things never usually go according to the plan!"

I'm the wife & mother though, it's kind of my job, especially since I'm at home now, to try to coordinate everything & make sure we're ready if we're going out etc. Hence the NEED for the plan.

I feel pretty good & accomplished today though because I was able to coordinate a plan for last night through Sunday! We went to my parents house to visit & have dinner last night, tonight we will be at hubby's parents house, I think Keegan will stay the night, Saturday morning hubby will (hopefully) finish cleaning out storage with his friend & then we will spend the rest of the day at his parents house, and finally on Sunday we will be at my parents house. I'm lucky to get 1 full day of "plan" but I managed to get 4 days!!

Anyone else think I'm crazy for NEEDING a plan? Or do you NEED a plan too?

2 comments:

  1. Know that you are not alone in the chaos! lol Personally, I have found having a few little routines at certain times (morning, evening, before we leave, etc) help the lack of schedule and planning to be a little less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm sure if I made sure that between 4 & 4:30pm every weekday I pumped just in case then I could easily just throw clothes on when hubby got home if we were suddenly going somewhere. I'm also sure that if when I woke up on the weekends I got my shower & pumped right away instead of sitting around, drinking coffee & just generally vegging that'd be good too. BUT...I don't think I really want to do that on the weekends at least haha.

      Delete